Volunteers of Cotswold Motoring Museum
Our volunteer group has been going since 2000. There are currently thirty five members; female, male and some children. We are continuing to expand our group over the coming months, as new items and exhibits continue to increase the size of the museum.
Our first volunteer organisation was formed in 1909, there are now over 400 in existence. A co-ordinating body which the museum belongs to is called the British Association of Friends of Museums or BAFM. They promote best practice and give advice.
Most museums have volunteer organisations. Volunteer organisations are usually run separately from the museum, but have a close working relationship with staff. Volunteer groups are often very informal, but many are charities with their own constitution and committee.
What they do
Some of the Cotswold Motoring Museum voluntary work includes:
- Regular cleaning of cars & objects
- Interpretation: we hope to start a rota of friends becoming guides through school holidays when we are at our busiest. They may be situated within the garage, as a 1930’s mechanic and answer questions to promote learning.
- Minor restoration - pumping tyres, fixing vinyl.
- Display & conservation improvement
- Training on conservation skills
- Use volunteers technical skills
- Help with educational groups to deliver workshops
- Administration of friends group
Who can get involved?
Volunteers of Cotswold Motoring Museum run two social activities a year, our famous 'wine and cheese' evening which includes a private view of the gallery and another different activity each year. Last year many of our volunteers went for a private steam train ride with the Forest of Dean Railway for a curry & chips supper, all supplied by Gloucestershire museums.
We also send updates and information to all our friends on the exciting events going on within the museum, so they hear about them first!
Cotswold Motoring Museum offers free entry to volunteers of the museum and their families in return for one day of voluntary work a year.
We have people join from all backgrounds and with a variety of skills who help out with activities for the museum. If you would like to make a difference and join the museum volunteer group, please give us a call on 01451 821255.