The impact on the world today
Over the past 100 years, motoring has transformed people’s lives by giving them the freedom to travel – relatively cheaply and in comfort – to wherever they want, whenever they want. Yet motoring has also impacted on our lives in many other ways that are less obvious and much more complex. What’s more, its influence extends far beyond the users of vehicles, as motoring affects everybody as well as whole ecosystems and even the Earth itself.
In response, the Cotswold Motoring Museum has developed a series of displays about the impact of motoring; they explore the various ways in which motoring has affected the environment, influenced us as the users of vehicles, and stimulated the development of technology. Questions that the displays address include:
- How much has car usage grown over the last few decades?
- How has the growth in motoring affected air pollution?
- Have we passed the point of peak oil production?
- How much oil do we consume today?
- How can I reduce my own impact?
- How has engine technology developed and what developments are being made now?
- What trends have arisen from car ownership?
- What sort of responsibilities come with motoring?
Both 'The Impact (of Motoring) on the World Today" and the "History of Motoring in 10 objects" exhibitions were originally accompanied by extensive background information on this website. All of this detail and more has been gathered together into a new eBook that is free to download. As well as the impact that motoring has had on our planet, this eBook looks at the decisions that we as individuals, can take to mitigate that impact, suggesting how the current century of motoring may unfold. The eBook is detailed into 5 sections below - each with a detailed index making it easy to search for your topic of interest.